During the second half of the nineteenth century a number of migrants from Europe, mostly from Germany, entered the state of Texas. Several of those families who had a Lutheran background settled near the town of Bowie in north central Texas. They obtained land and began to build their home and farms in the area that later became known as the Salone and Lindale communities of Montague County.
In 1894 the congregation at Bowie was organized and soon after the first church building was constructed 5 miles north east of Bowie, a frame building. In 1947 this building was moved to the corner of Houston and Lindsay (Highway 59) in Bowie.
Between 1954 and 1967 The building was transformed, adding a Sunday school wing, new roof, and general remodeling and In 1980, a complete remodeling of the Sanctuary was begun. At this time both the church and educational wing were bricked, In 1994 the Fellowship Hall was constructed. Also that year, St. Peter and the Montague County Historical Commission dedicated an official Texas Historical marker, recognizing 100 years of service.
In 2011, Construction began on the current build. Following a complete leveling of the church, the current edifice was constructed and dedicated in 2012.
St. Peter Lutheran Church
Copyright © 2023 St. Peter Lutheran Church - All Rights Reserved.